Saturday, May 12, 2012

Unit 4: Loving Kindness

Julia Roberts made it look easy in "Eat, Pray, Love"...travel to India and find enlightenment; sit, meditate, voila! If only it were that simple. For several years now I have been delving into the literature, the soundscapes, the stillness - and yes, I am still waiting for the breakthrough. The loving kindness exercise was interesting and I found it helpful, although I need longer than the mp3 allows to get around the swirling madness in my head. My biggest problem seems to be getting around the seemingly never ending thoughts that are so hard to silence. I did find that this exercise helped with that as I could focus on others rather than my own mental blocks and as a result feel that this may be precisely the way to get around myself. A springboard, so to speak. There is nothing that I have found quite like compassion for others (be they human or animal) to lead one to a peaceful frame of mind. Having done this exercise three days this week, I am feeling hopeful and will continue. It must be working as my dogs are even calmer and they are, after all, mirrors of my energy. As I write this they are all curled peacefully on various pieces of furniture snoozing to soundscapes in the background. I would definitely recommend this exercise to others.

As I relish the peace and quiet of my Saturday solitude (the teenager is at a friends house tonight), I hate to think about mental workouts, but just as the body needs exercise to stay in shape and ward off disease, so does the mind. I am not a fan of puzzles, and it was always suggested that puzzles were good workouts for the mind. Today there are innumerable websites where one can find interesting and beneficial games for brain stimulation. For those of us that aren't quite ready for the mental gym there are also some simple workouts to get started. My doctor told me to remember to "stretch" my brain before working out...i.e..saying the alphabet in words (that start with each letter), counting backwards, making lists of 20 friends you've had, or all of the vehicles you've owned, etc. Workouts don't necessarily have to be brain teasers. Changing the way you do things can make the brain work differently - for instance, when I broke my right wrist, I had to use my left hand and find interesting ways to do things. I would not say that I am ambidextrous by any means, but I now eat with both hands equally or find myself eating with my left hand at times without really noticing. Think of all the things you do everyday..from your morning routine to getting into bed at night and change small details..take a different route to work, etc. Without really considering it, these small changes make you think differently.

 It's funny how we can get almost robotic in our daily lives. This morning I was really happy because a flower bloomed in my front yard...I even took a picture of it. A few years ago I would have walked by and not even noticed it...I think that's progress.

6 comments:

  1. Those little things do make so much of a difference in our worlds! Taking note of that flower is progress, who the Creator of that flower was hoping for you to notice, just to share a small ray of sunshine your way.

    I'm going to try your brain exercises there Carrie, I'll want to see how the activity develops, kind of a similar word association game. And to see what thoughts come up. There is a technique in mind-body awareness that sounds relative to your word-stretches (the exact term and origin of the exercise escapes me at this time). It's a matter of seeing what thoughts come up and reflecting upon them but being slightly disengaged from them. You're not affected by them per se, you're observing them at a distance or another perspective. It's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is my problem..detaching to view from a distance. I am better than I used to be...hypnosis really helped with that. Although, I will say that I am able to look back and see situations and feelings for what they really were rather than how I perceived them. I credit that epiphany with meditation. Whether I can accomplish the exercise or not, the quiet time to reflect works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was easier for the character in "Eat, Pray, Love" because she could afford to completely remove herself from everything that she was familiar with. She left behind everything to have a fresh start. Most of us are not able to do that. I think if I could pick up my life and move to India and be surrounded by other people who were going through what I was going through (trying to figure out how to meditate) I would have a much easier time. :) Do you agree?
    I also agree with you that using compassion made it easier to focus. Focusing on a feeling of someone you love I think is much easier than focusing on a beam of light or a color or a sound because the feeling has more meaning to us. It is something we are familiar with and something we love feeling, so it makes it easier for us to focus on it.
    Nicole Styer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie,

    I have said from the beginning that I am a huge fan of the way you right. If you don't already have plans to do some writing, I would seriously recommend that you do so. You have a way of speaking that draws the writer in, and makes us want to follow your story and leaves us wanting more when you are finished.

    I too absolutely love the movie Eat Love Pray and I had wished for years that I could just get away from it all to "find myself" like she did in the movie. I thought that I had to have this huge life changing moment in order to complete the process. But as you said, look for the small things each day. Keeping a journal is a great way to do this. I started doing this almost 2 years ago and I saved them on my computer. They started off as random thoughts and didn't seem to be connected. But now that I look back on them, I can see where my life was headed even 2 years ago, but could not see it then. I too, see this as progress, in each little accomplishment and I will keep trying to achieve this higher level of awareness and consciousness, no matter how small the beginning might seem.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I am not skilled in these types of exercises and my mind seems to go in many directions, however with this exercise I was able to focus on certain people. I am not the kind of person who walks around thinking of ways I can help people all day and at my job, quite frankly I am surrounded by people who have no work ethic and are back stabbing to climb the corporate ladder. This becomes draining on my soul, my outlook and gives me a cynical view. These exercises and others like them help me in helping myself to overlook these kinds of people and focus on the good and give me tools to kind of settle down and not worry as much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,

    It's funny...I thought of the same book/movie. I remembered Julia Robert's character sitting in the meditation room, checking the clock every few seconds, thinking she could last two hours during her first session. She only made it two minutes, I think. :)

    Taking the steps necessary to successfully start and maintain daily meditation, prayer, relaxation exercises, etc. requires self-discipline, motivation and a smart starting plan. A few minutes a day will get the ball rolling and before we know it, we've formed a natural process of meeting each day with the right attitude of loving-kindness, compassion and gratitude. I know how easy it is to get out of the habit. And my stress level soared when I didn't have my daily quiet time and run each morning. It's amazing to see how much easier it is to deal with the typical stresses of the day when time has been set aside to focus the mind and spirit on the right things. I am more productive, less stressed, and respond more patiently and compassionately to my children's needs. It may not be the thing everyone chooses...but for me, prayer, Bible study and a good workout are the perfect combination for me.

    Hope you have a great week!

    Melissa Rasberry

    ReplyDelete