Monday, May 21, 2012

Unit 5: Subtle Mind Practice

The Subtle Mind Practice this week was relaxing - maybe too relaxing - as I kept finding myself dozing off and forcing myself back to focus. Personally, I think the Loving-Kindness exercise is easier as it directs your thoughts. There is more narration and coaching. The subtle mind practice seemed more difficult for a beginner being less structured. I think with time and practice this exercise might assist you in reaching a calm-abiding mind, but it is tough to stay focused with this one. I also found it a bit long which is difficult for those of us that have a problem focusing. I would start out shorter and work up to longer which is another reason I personally liked the loving-kindness exercise a bit more. I really enjoyed the music and waves - this would be wonderful to put me to sleep on those sleepless nights!

The connection of physical wellness and spiritual wellness became apparent to me  gradually as I was on a quest for health a few years ago. I was going to the gym almost every day, but realized something was missing as the only time I felt really good was when I would go hiking in the woods. The trails became my church, so to speak. At some later point, I gave up my gym membership. Although I was still hiking on weekends and enjoying my nature "church" I was not as fit as before. For me it is all about balance. You can't have one without the right amount of the other so you must have the correct balance of physical, mental, and spiritual wellness. If one is off, I am unable to find my center and all are off. My biggest fight with myself was learning not to feel guilty that my spiritual beliefs are different than my family's or mainstream Americans'. I realized I must find my own balance and be happy with what works for me.

2 comments:

  1. Carrie,

    I have to agree about the exercise. To the untrained mind or someone who is struggling and just starting out, it might be difficult to concentrate on this exercise or maybe to drift off and fall asleep. I think it is essential that we try to do these exercises when we are alone and have time to relax and truly concentrate. Most of our other homework, I can do with kids in the room and my headphones on, but not these exercises. It is important to me that I set these times aside for just my time.

    I also went through the same thing as you where I felt so much better when I was also connected to nature and outdoors in some way. I felt a stronger connection to God and the universe and I felt overall that I had a purpose when my vibrations were in tune with those of nature.

    Great post!
    Kris Sinclair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, this exercise, in my opinion, more so than the others lends itself to putting you to sleep. I say this because when you clear your mind you become totally relaxed and your body and mind will associate that feeling with sleep. I use to have really bad insomina and I have trained myself through meditation to become still and clear. Therefore, this exercise made me extremely sleepy. Since I consider sleep a positive contribution to my mental, spiritual, physical well-being, I feel am accomplishing the goal of the exercises.

    You mentioned feeling guilt over your spritiual beliefs because they differ from your family's. Don't! We are all entitled to believe what and how we want to. My family is Southern Baptist and I choose not to be. When I pulled away from the church, my mother was not happy, but she came to respect my decision. I am not saying I don't believe in God, I am a very spiritual person. I just don't believe in organized religion.

    I hope you eventually find your peace of mind in your beliefs.

    ~~Stephen Young


    ~~Stephen Young

    ReplyDelete