Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Unit 7 - Meeting Aesclepius

This week's exercise was the easiest yet for me. When asked to concentrate on a wise person I immediately thought of the Dalai Lama and his presence worked quite well for this exercise. It was as if I was sharing consciousness with the ultimate teacher and it made the exercise a rewarding experience. The Dalai Lama exudes inner peace and loving-kindness. He has the perpetual grin on his face that makes one immediately enamored with his presence. He can answer life's questions in a simple phrase that makes one wonder why we hadn't understood that truth all along. I felt with this exercise that I was actually sharing a small part of his wisdom and compassion and I will continue to use this at the end of a long and stressful day.

"One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself"
This is not a new concept. Our parents have taught us this concept since childhood. It simply states that unless you have experienced something yourself, you cannot possibly presume to teach someone else that which you have no personal knowledge of. As a health and wellness professional, you are responsible for facilitating good choices in others to promote their path to wellness. You cannot offer advice if you have not travelled the path; you do have an obligation to your clients to develop the best within yourself in order to assist them in doing the same. I implement personal psychological and spiritual growth through continued education and contemplative practice. There is always something new to learn, someone's experience to hear, a different exercise to experience. I feel that we definitely are on the cusp of a total paradigm shift and uplifting of human consciousness in the 21st century and I am excited to be discovering all there is to see and experience.

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea to use the Dalai Lama. For my other class we just had to watch a video about his way to find happiness. I wish I would have thought of that when I did this meditation because he probably would have centered me more.
    I also agree that you cannot give someone good advice if you have not done it already. Do you think these guided meditations will help you in your practice?
    Nicole Styer

    ReplyDelete