The two practices throughout the course that I have found most beneficial so far are "Meeting Asclepius" and "Loving-Kindness". Although I appreciate any new exercise or meditation that can expand my contemplative practice, these two shared a commonality - they allowed me to take my mind off of myself or my own mind and concentrate on others.
Meeting Asclepius was particularly interesting because I felt that by visualizing the Dalai Lama as my wise and revered teacher, I could tap into his patience and loving-kindness in a way that is not possible simply by reading his books or seeing him speak. It was almost like being there with him and having him guide me - a great experience.
Loving-kindness, I found to be a great exercise to remind us that it is not all about ourselves. When one is trying to learn the art of contemplative practice and mindfulness, it is too easy to get so caught up in our own minds that you forget about others at times. This exercise reminds us that in the end, it is not about each individual per se, but about the collective, or as Jung taught, the collective consciousness. That is our ultimate goal after all - to be connected to all - as we were meant to be.
I have incorporated these two practices into my daily routines. I like to do Meeting Asclepius before turning in for the night - thereby giving my unconscious mind something worth ruminating over while I sleep. I try to do a full-length version of Loving Kindness in the morning - time allowing - but if I can't, simply repeating the words "Loving-kindness" with a few deep breaths throughout the day has the same effect. This also comes in very handy in situations where your first reaction might be to do otherwise, such as when someone cuts you off in traffic, or you get that grumpy cashier as you're checking out. A bit of compassion for them usually turns their day around.
As a matter of fact, I had a client call me yesterday and leave a very frustrated and somewhat demanding voicemail. Following the initial frustrated thoughts it provoked, I called her back and replaced those with understanding and compassion. She finished the conversation with, "I was really upset earlier because I couldn't reach anyone, but you have turned my day around." Now that really makes the effort worth it. Especially when she hangs up the phone and perhaps relates to her family or co-workers with the same. Loving-kindness is the best kind of contagious and it takes no effort to "pay it forward". The rewards, however, are great.
Carrie,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post this week, ma'am. I truly enjoyed your take on things and how it completely contrasted with mine. The bit at the end where you replied with compassion instead reacting to the frustration was a great story about how easy it is to not get caught up in the problems of others and instead, turn their own situation into something much better. Hopefully she'll continue to follow your lead and think about the way she comes across to other people.
Thanks,
James Banks
Carrie,
ReplyDeleteIts so great to see after reading many classmates blog that we all have the same opinion in a way on certaian exercises. I think the Loving Kindness exercise is such a great exercise that we all saw a difference after doing it. This exercise is great because you come out of it feeling like a different person. These exercises are great to do when you run across a bump along the road and are wanting something to keep calm. Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Brittany Everman
The Dalai Lama was a great person to visualize. I like the healer that I picked out, but I may use the Dalai Lama in the future. I like your idea of using it before you go to sleep. I currently listen to self-esteem positive affirmations by Louise Hay for the same purpose, to give my brain something positive to think about while I sleep. I never thought to use these exercises and meditations in that way but I think I will try them now. :) I also liked your idea of just saying loving-kindness through out the day. I use positive affirmations through out the day and that would be a great one. I am working on learning how to sit still and make time for the whole loving-kindness exercise and using it as a positive affirmation would help when I can't find the time to do the whole thing. Great ideas!
ReplyDeleteNicole Styer
Excellent! think that lovingkindness is a great meditation and for reasons like you mentioned to be built up for those moments when someone cuts you off the road or when someone insults you. It's a tough world to be in today and it seems like we are constantly consciously having to walk out LOVINGKINDNES. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete