Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Unit 10 - Reflections

My well-being scores from unit 3 of the course were: physical (3), psychological (6), spiritual (8).
My re-assessment scores from unit 9 of the course are: physical (6), psychological (7), spiritual (7).

This course has really made me think about where I am and where I want to be and has opened doors to possibilities. During the course, I found the exercises and readings very inspiring. I actually began to notice that without thinking about it, I had a more positive attitude, more energy, was more open with people in general and was receiving positive feedback from others as well. This really solidified for me that the law of attraction is true - you get back what you project.

At the start of the course, I rated my physical well-being at 3 because I had gained fifteen pounds, was fatigued, and forcing myself to take a daily walk. In the past nine weeks my attitude has improved, and I am energized to the point that I am actually wearing out the dogs! I am no longer so fatigued and take any opportunity to get outside and walk, go to the park, or work in the yard. As a result I have lost a third of the weight I gained and feel great. I feel that I am at a 6 now because I do have more work to do as far as my fitness plan, but I am no longer dreading it.

Psychologically, I rated myself at a 6 in unit 3. I felt then that I had a better understanding myself than ever before and was improving in this area. I now rate myself at a 7 because, as I mentioned before, my attitude and outlook are getting more positive by the day and this course has given me even more tools to work with. I know now that if I stay on this track, I will continue to improve. I can't wait to see what it feels like to be at 8, 9, or 10, but I plan to get there!

Spiritually, I rated myself at an 8 in unit 3 because I was pretty positive about my beliefs and confortable with them. I now rate myself at a 7 because this course has shown me that I need to continue learning, seek out others who feel as I do, obtain a teacher and learn more. Basically, I feel the need to come out of the closet and become part of the bigger picture ultimately perhaps being able to help others do the same.

My unit 3 goals were: physical (continue exercise program & maintain focus), psychological (continue to remind myself how far I have come and continue moving forward), spiritual (continue looking for my own answers). I feel that I have made progress in these areas - my fitness program is much improved as is my positive attitude and spiritually I am inspired not only to continue looking within but to look without - become more involved in a spiritual community and continue to learn.

My experience in this course has been a very positive one. I seem to have broken through my own barriers to see the possibilities on the horizon. I was sabotaging myself with regard to contemplative practice because I was concentrating too much on breaking through and not simply being in the moment and waiting for it to occur naturally. It is hard to explain the feeling when you realize for the first time that you are actually witnessing your thoughts rather than being imprisoned by them. This was a great achievement during this course that motivates me to continue the exercises and mindful practice. Overall, it is hard to explain the change this course has brought about. I am energized, positive, and excited to learn more. I am recognizing subtleties that I had been missing before - almost as if the shades were drawn but are now lifted and I can see the sunlight outside. These are very subtle differences - not like a eureka! moment - but positive and exciting.

How will this experience improve my ability to assist others? It already has. My daughter is having a stressful time right now and, like she learned from her mother, tends to get very negative when things go wrong. I have been trying to steer her in a more positive and peaceful direction, get her to meditate without knowing that's what she's doing, and I have seen a positive change although she doesn't understand why!  (She thinks my Buddhist beliefs, or any religious beliefs for that matter, are a waste of time and energy.) I am more willing to just listen rather than having to be the "mom" and offer advice. Sometimes all you need to do to help someone is listen to them. I hope that the change in me will reflect on them and at some point to others.

I wish everyone the best of luck and life. 

~Namaste~

6 comments:

  1. Great Post Carrie. I wish you the best of luck on your goals. I know the feeling your having with your daughter, I am going through the same with my son. We have had a bumpy ride these past few weeks, and we are still dealing with the effects of what happened. I am trying to help my son to understand that because of the situation that happened, that he needs to wake up and realize that he did cause this on himself, but I am also trying to help him understand at the same time. I think now he understands what he needs to do to rectify his actions.
    We all are faced with some ordeal in our life, but we need to make sure that we deal with the stress instead of letting the stress break us down and take control of our lives, and another thing God only gives us what he knows we are capable of dealing with in our lives.

    Good luck to you, and once again nice Post, Jean St.John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie,

    Wow, great progress with improving your assessment scores! I think that is good that you are willing to listen to your daughter rather than be the "mom". I agree that sometimes all a person needs is someone that will listen to them; really listen to them.

    It seems that these days you hear a lot about being in the "moment". Well, being and staying in the moment is much hard than one might think. I have been trying to be in the moment and it does take some work. I am hoping that at some point it will just become a natural thing that I can do.

    Good luck to you!
    Cherri Looney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, just from reading your post I could feel your positivity. I believe in the law of attraction as well and it does not surprise me that you are experiencing positive changes in your life. I think it is good that you plan to get a teacher to increase your knowledge. I feel when people start self-exploration they want so badly to have as you said a "eureka" moment, so they force it and become frustrated when it does not come when they want it. You are doing it the right way by making your open to where it takes you and what it reveals. I wish you much success on your continuing journey.

    ~~Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen. That means a lot because there were years during which I couldn't even fake a positive attitude! I think the key for me is knowing that some days will be better than others and I just need to breathe and be patient. Best of luck to you as well.

      Delete
  4. Carrie,
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this weeks discussion. After reading your post it seems like everyone has made a difference in their health and that is awesome. I think after taking this course it has opened many doors to many opportunites. It has made me realize that health is extreamly important and its important that exercise is in your daily life and you take care of yourself. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing. Keep thinking positive and you will go far in life!

    Brittany Everman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie I really enjoy your blog this week this class has made a big difference in my goals and how I look at my health and I have got to do much better to stay healthy and it will pay off in the long run. Our health is very important to us and being in this class have taught me so much about myself. Good Luck your doing good.

    Lisa Kimbrough

    ReplyDelete